Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Lately..




So I forgot an important story from the day before yesterday. We were at my counselor (Cecelia's) house for tea, and I tried the cocaine leaf. It wasn't in drug form of course, and people use it for many things other than the drug, but I just thought it was funny.
Hm, what to say. Yesterday, we kind of registered for school, only I really just toured the school. I learned quite a bit about it, and I talked with someone who went there a while ago. I'm kind of excited, but more just nervous, especially about the all girls thing; it will be interesting to see if that creates more or less drama. We bought the uniform stuff and took the picture... I'm gonna look SO attractive in this uniform (no, there was absolutely no sarcasm in that). We went to a lot of places to look for stuff, and I actually thought it was kind of funny exactly how many places we had to go. The picture that was taken of me in my uniform is now in a frame in their house, and even though the picture is quite unattractive, it made me feel like I was part of their family. Much later, we had food and went to the store to buy things. They were cheap there, but not as cheap as I would have thought. It was pretty much like a smaller version of King Soopers, with like eight aisles-ish.
Today was by far the funniest day. I went to Riobamba to visit Iva and Maxi (an outbound to Germany and inbound in Ecuador) and that was funny. My family thinks Maxi is really attractive, so his name to them is "Max the Guapo," literally Max the Attractive; I can't say that I disagree with them, he is very good looking. The way to Riobamba was really interesting, and I saw Chimborazo the volcano. (By the way, Riobamba is my absolute favorite name for a city). When we showed up, they were all laughing and smiling because they saw him in person it was so funny. When I went to their house, Iva's dogs had had six puppies and they were all so cute I couldn't stop holding them. A dog from the cousins house peed on my purse though, which was really funny at the time and we were all laughing; it's clean now though, so it's okay. We ate there, I met an inbound from Taiwan who doesn't know any Spanish and hardly any English, I found out there is only one boy exchange student in Ambato, and we just talked. It was really fun, b/'ut I wish Iva wasn't leaving so soon.
Once I got home, I learned a few more things. Me and my dad laughed a lot about Maxi, and I learned a new word: changador. It means lovers, only a tiny bit more, and we laughed about that because I didn't understand for the longest time and finally i said "Oh, no no no!" Today, I also learned that Chip, the dog, loves me more than Mateo, which I love shoving in his face. (The only reason I put that in there is because I know it will bother him, and I'm glad I have him as a replacement of my sister to bother). I'm glad though, that I know him well enough to be able to joke around. We had food, played a lot of Wii and Guitar Hero (I passed a song on MEDIUM!), and drove to the paper shop which was closed. I even sat in the back of the car, like the trunk, which made me feel very Ecuadorian. All in all, today was my favorite day by far, and I feel like I'm getting to know the family much better as well as the language. Actually, I'm positive I know the language better, because I can have a conversation with Mateo (who speaks almost no English), and with Ophelia (the made-type person whose part of the family, who speaks no English). Well, I can't have a real conversation with Ophelia, but I can talk with her when we do talk, so that makes me feel better.

I'm loving life. :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I like the name Riobamba too. One of my friends went to an all girl Junior College, and she said there was less drama. Hope that's true for your school also. Either way, you'll be fine because you are a fantastic person...who wouldn't love you?? But no Changador!!! ha ha
    Love you! Love, Auntie Karen.
    p.s I want to see a picture of you in your uniform :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me or send a note if you need anything. Love, Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks auntie karen. and haha NO i won't, slightly unattractive, the less people that see, the better haha! and thanks grandpa i love you. :)) you too auntie karen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you are laughing and having fun with your family. I know that it will take getting use to going to an all girls' school. It was kind for your family to hang up your darling picture. Loved your blog. It's not too long. Details are great for all of us stuck in the U.S. and great for other students in Rotary exchange. Love Ya, MOM

    ReplyDelete